Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mfr

Sailboat mast antenna

I have a Miktotik 2/5GHz Wi-Fi bullet with an attached 9dbi omnidirectional antenna on my sailboat mast, used to pull in free Wi-Fi while at anchor.  The antenna/bullet  is located about 40 feet above the water and 1 foot from my aluminium mast.  A Cat-5 cable in the mast brings the internet connection to my router in the boat's cockpit.  I lose the connection temporarily at times and I believe it is as the boat swings with the wind, as the mast swings between the hotspot I am accessing and my antenna.

I would appreciate insights on if the mast interference the cause of my intermittent reception problem?  Are there antenna configurations I can consider to wrap the signal around the mast. 

A pole type antenna, versus a flat panel, is highly preferred since the antenna/bullet are subjected to high winds (40 mph) and rain.

Can I position an antenna (two identical antennas) on either side of the mast, join them in an effective manner, and then connect them to the bullet?

Would moving the antenna a bit further from the mast solve the problem?  I can only move it another foot, at best.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by mfr

the router model ...

to check the use of two antennas...(separated a feet or so could be interesting)

pretty sure is the ELEVATION ANGLE going UP and DOWN

Edited by clanon

Groove         Mikrotik
Model        RouterBOARD Groove GA-52HPacn

Placement on both sides of mast would put them 2 to 3 feet apart.

Edited by mfr

it seems like you gonna need a DUAL BAND omni (with high gain but wide angle of elevation or small angle pointing DOWN)

What's the distance to AP...? (average)

Distance is maybe 1/2 mile.  We are s catamaran, so up down might be a few degrees.  Symptoms tend to align with swing . 

Here's TWO things you might wanna try , BEFORE changing antenna,...(my 2 cents)

The same 8/9 dbi UP side DOWN (diagram might point better to ground) lower angle

A HAT (aluminum disc) on top of the same antenna (pushing energy down to AP) lower angle

(BUT if 800meters 8/9 dbi  (with lots of obstacles  i assume) is NOT enough closer to 15dbi should do it) New antenna and finding the right HEIGHT

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

you see...when the mast swings your AP falls OUTSIDE the LOBE of reception UP or DOWN...but OUTSIDE...

Edited by clanon
1 person likes this

,,mfr, for your case I think a disc-cone antenna is good instead of mikrotik bullet...!!!

1 person likes this

what about supporting the actual set-up with a GIMBAL allowing the antenna and router (with slack in cable) to stay at 90 degrees to level (maybe adding some ballast in the base)

under 5 dbi wouln't do it for 800 mts and obstacles (disc cone) not sure

Edited by clanon