Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Richard

Discussion of software for WiFi testing

Hello;

I am sharing a question about checking WiFi signals nearby.  After researching antennas and how Andrew McNeil does testing, I'm curious if this can be done without special equipment.  I have a regular laptop running linux and an older netgear router.  Since the router has regular SMA connectors, it should be possible to hook either a cantenna or yagi directly to the router and then use Cat5 cable to hook straight to a computer.  What I wonder is, how can I troubleshoot wireless signal strength if there's a unit between the computer and the outside?  For those with paid wifi service, I assume the router is designed to work with their signal.  However if I'm just moving around a home-built antenna then I don't know if a weak signal would be due to the router or the position of the antenna.

I have a USB wifi antenna ( https://images.jet.com/md5/22e0fa962eac638ffd03c7b2a7205b2d.1500 )which will allow my computer to search wifi signals, but this would need a flexible cable between the laptop and the built antenna.

So far though, I'm working to figure this out without buying items.  I have a philosophy of not buying stuff and so I make these things myself when it's simple enough.  I thank you in advance for any advice that you have.

Aaron

,,, here you find a lot of programs for WiFi....

Thank you so much for the information about software.  I found it quite intriguing.

One of my friends is telling me that it is not possible to use a netgear or other router to convert the SMA antenna signal into a Cat5 signal.  He suggests buying a product like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Ubiquiti-Rocket-M2-airMAX-2-4GHz/292905224572?epid=2254392769&hash=item443283097c%3Ag%3AlIEAAOSw~5dcMTbZ%3Ark%3A2%3Apf%3A0

Do you think it's necessary to use such a product? Or would it be possible to install software via thumdrive to a router (I believe many of them run linux).

Once the 2.4GHz antenna is finished, I may look to build a 5GHz one and so it would be great to not have to use two converters for the two different frequencies.  McNeil managed to two antennas using a 'T' with the coax (I think).  I'm hoping to connect one antenna to each of the two SMA ports on a router.

Thank you in advance for your ideas.