Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew77

Helix_433 MHz

I've designed a helix for 432 MHz based on the studies of the paper attached,

This is a WB1 design centered around 432 MHz, length is about 0,8 wavelength and a metallic disk is placed in front of the antenna in order to increase gain

Simulation is performed with cst Integral Equation Solver, surface meshing is visualized on the picture

directivity_433_with_disk.jpg

Helix_433_with_Disk.jpg

Optimization of Helical Antennas.pdf

Helix_433_5_with_disk.cst

1 person likes this

Congratulations ... very good work Andrew77....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it must to have made adapting impedance...!!

thanks,

Yes, impedance matching is not performed here due to much higher meshing needed (for the stub close to the feed...)

My goal is to design and realize a 432 MHz Helix the shortest possible with the highest gain so to couple 4 of them for my Ham communication

Now I'm designing a narrow band Helix for the same frequency with a little higher gain (more coils: 11) same length ...

I'm not very sure about integral equation solver because I've always used Transient Analysis but in this case antenna is big. I've noticed that increase "Steps per wavelength"  doesn't change much the gain (about +/- 0,2 dB) could you confirm that?

thanks

Andrea

Meshing_433.jpg

1 person likes this

For waveguide port CST explains here:

"Very low reflections can be achieved when the waveguide mode patterns in the port match perfectly with the mode patterns from the waveguides inside the structure. CST MICROWAVE STUDIO® uses a 2D eigenmode solver to calculate the waveguide port modes. This procedure can provide very low levels of reflection below -100dB in some cases"

for Discrete port:

"Discrete ports are mainly used to simulate lumped element sources inside the calculation domain. These ports are a good approximation for the source in the feeding point of antennas when calculating farfields. In some cases, these ports may also be used to terminate coaxial cables or microstrip lines. However, due to the transmission between transmission lines of different geometric dimensions, reflections may occur that are much larger than those for the termination with waveguide ports. For lower frequencies (compared to the dimension of the discrete port), these reflections may be sufficiently small, such that these kinds of ports may also be used successfully for the S-parameter calculations of multipin connectors"

To my opinion I prefer waveguide port where it is possible use it,

But I don't understand your picture: are you using a 150 ohm port because you expect that antenna shows around 150 ohm at feed point? Impedance is lower when first turn is close to ground..

waveguide_port.jpg

cutting_plane.jpg

1 person likes this

With disk axial ratio is not good (13 dB)

This last design without disk axial ratio is around 3-4 dB 

Other Simulations with disk gives me poor axial ratio

I didn't test just this

Edited by Andrew77

BY INTRODUCING THE ANTENNA helical in a bucket conical ,can be considerably increased antenna gain...

milk-bucket-1626MHz-helicone.jpg