Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

aurel

BatWing antenna 2.4 ghz

332 posts in this topic

,,, two variants-the first is to choose...!!!

screenshot_383.png

screenshot_385.png

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Admin said:

,,, two variants-the first is to choose...!!!

maybe because the first option has a higher side height?

,,, but what do you say about that ... ???

screenshot_386.png

,,,a fake batwing  antenna 1700-2700, 8.7-9.7 dBi @ 50 Ohm from Yurii Pylypenko (ypylypenko) wrote...

1021732_original.png

1022132_original.png

1022224_original.png

1022633_original.png

1022906_original.png

,,, and here are my results ...

screenshot_466.png

Made according to the project of the admin. After the dielectric racks come, I will collect and share the result.

P.S. Material - stainless steel 0.5 mm

IMG_20210925_093856.jpg

2 people like this

Thank you for all your work on optimizing the batwing antenna. 

I finished today my first one (page 2 in the middle) with a great SWR and good bandwidth. The SWR is indeed better when the coax is parallel to the antenna.

I compared the performance with a TL-ANT2409A and both show nearly the same signal intensity even with my rough built. 

Next i will play a little bit around with the combination of 3d-printing and copper tape, even when the permittivity is different it should be much easier than cutting steel sheets without power tools. 

Batwing-1.jpeg

Batwing-2.jpeg

First prototype of a 3d printed batwing antenna + copper tape. It works but have to be optimized, the sheet one is better, but its much easier to make. batwing-3d-1.jpgbatwing-3d-2.jpg

1mm PETG as substrate.

I performed a little gain test with a wifi network nearby behind some walls as a target with two commercial antennas for comparison. Even the 3d printed version with pcb reflector outperforms the tl-2409 antenna which is claimed 9dbi. The batwing is really a good performer. Thanks again for all the optimization work on this antenna.

batwing gain test-comp.jpg

You are right, i rooted the wire like in your picture and the swr improves a lot to 1.14 @ 2445MHz. But i have to design my model more rigid,  the 5mm coax is so stiff that it bends the antenna and it wont stay in place. Will be implemented in the next generation. But its surprising that even with copper tape the antenna performs that good, no need for expensive tools. 

1 person likes this

A small update about the 3D printed batwing. I made one with printed reflector which works very good. I also made one with 0.5mm aluminium sheet as reflector which gives even more gain. The problem was only that on the aluminium one i have to reduce the distance to the reflector to ~25mm to get a good SWR. With the original 35mm the SWR was only 2.1, with 25mm it improves to 1.3 @ 2440 MHz. Can be the extra PETG to make the antenna more sturdy or that i used a 200mm wide sheet as reflector and not the recommended 130mm one.

I have to learn CST studio to do some optimizations when copper tape and a printed body is used. I also use now RG316 cable which is much better in routing and easyer to solder. The Airborne 5 i used earlier has lower losses but is so stiff that is nearly impossible to route like this.

V2 V3 comparison.pngV3.jpg

1 person likes this

I found out why the swr was so high with the printed batwing antenna. I had simply to add more solder to the copper layer to change the capacitance between the gap. Reducing the amount of polymer also improves things so that the swr gets into the range of~1.25.

I also made one out of aluminium sheet which works best so far. I had only to minor adjust the gap to tune the antenna to the desired level to overcome the handmade errors on cutting the shape out of the sheet. Look at the beautiful swr curve. Its also a nice trick to solder on aluminium sheet, simply use a patch of copper tape on top.

VNA Alu-batwing-alusheet.jpgAlu-batwing-alusheet.jpg

2 people like this

First time i tried to work with cst and optimize an antenna. I wanted to modify the batwing to work as a dual band antenna for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz Wifi like Admin did on Page 8 but only with the newer design. I used the batwing simply design provided by admin which was easyer than to try to design my own one, this will com later after more learning. When it works like that it should be ok for a dual band antenna:

Gain plots

Spoiler

gain 2-45.jpggain 5-25.jpg

Gain Curve

Spoiler

gain#.jpg

SWR Curve :

Spoiler

swr.jpgimp.jpg

Spoiler

view.jpgview2.png

batwing dual band.cst

Edited by Dr. Pepper
1 person likes this

,,, bravo, you are a great doctor ... !!!

Still learning, but its not so complicated with the help in this forum and some yt videos. Thankfully i get my graphics card running on the optimizer so i have not to wait too long for a result. But i have to play around with the settings a little more. 

,, what computer do you have (or laptop) .. ???

I use a relative new laptop called Legion 5 with i7-10750H (6 cores, 12 threads) and an RTX-2060 as graphics card. Would be nice to use more of the cpu power. When cst runs on cpu mode for some tasks it only uses ~40% of the cpu but when it uses the gpu the cuda cores are used to about 90%, then this task is done very fast. When only the cpu is used it takes some time for calculation. Most of the time the Laptop is in idle mode, it can use its power to calculate new dimensions in this time.

But i already reduced the parameters of interest to the reasonable ones (max. 3-4) and i also reduce the max. number of evaluations to 20-100 and also the domain accuracy to 0.5 to speed things up when running the optimization. Later on i test again with a higher accuracy and more evaluations but the result didn't change that much. 

2 people like this

,,,it would be nice if you could show through a tutorial how to do an optimization and run faster in CST Microwave Studio...!!!

1 person likes this

Sounds like a plan, but give me some time to better understand what im doing ;-) i use the program for one day right now. 

,,, such an option for double batwing would be interesting...!!!!

1227974_original.jpg

1 person likes this

I also thought about such a design like a fractal antenna to increase bandwidth and perhaps gain but i don't know if you can reduce the distance so much that two batwings are touching.  I found a paper about stacked batwings but this is a little different.

stacked butwing.pdf