Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Richard

Repurpose Di-pole for SMA connector

Hello to you;

I'm coming here in hopes of learning more about self-built wireless antennas.  So far I've watched a great number of Andrew McNeil's videos and have largely decided on this multi-element yagi

The issue for me is that I have a philosophy of avoiding money and purchases whenever possible.  I build what I need out of found items and what I have nearby.  So while I have plenty of copper house wiring (for the elements themselves), some wood and metal for a spine, and a soldering iron -- what I don't have is a metal SMA connector.  So my first question is, would it be possible to repurpose a dipole antenna piece for this?  Since there are two points which need to be soldered (like an electric outlet) there would need to be two conductive parts on the dipole.  I assume that one of the two cylinders could be that part, but I don't know if it's the one on the blue arrow or the one on the red.

It does seem possible that this piece could be used for a cantenna by isolating the cylinder from the can itself and I will likely try that with one of these.

I thank you in advance for your expertise

Aaron

WiFi-antenna1.png

Thank you very much. I did cut the piece and looked at the components.  Store-brand dipole antennas use very thin wiring (magnifying glass thin), but I'll see if it can be made to work. If not, might be nec. to buy an SMA.

"No, you do not have to buy an SMA, just unzip the plastic case from the antenna SMA...!!

39.JPG