Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anoduck

Antennas and frequency for long range rural connectivity

29 posts in this topic

,,,this angle is not for all dishes...it differs from one construction to another...!!!

1 person likes this

@AdminThis does not answer the question though, it only answers the obvious first part. Which was, what angle does the dish need to be set to? I apologize, I didn't take calculus in college. So I wouldn't know where to begin to formulate a function to find the angle. 

Regardless, I am starting another build of the bester. Iust have buggered up the first build. 

23 hours ago, anoduck said:

@eco32 Just restating to make sure I understand this correctly. If I hold a lazer where the bester is, the lazer should hit the dish, and reflect off the dish. Then a piece of paper can be used to show where the beam of the lazer is reflected to?

how to finf focal point:

you point the antenna towards the sun, and sliding cheet of paper (I couldn't find a better source to ilustrate)

LASER use:

laser.png

@eco32 I do appreciate the generosity of the assist. I stumbled upon an article explaining how to make your own inclinometer and a laser to basically do the same thing. As probably figured out by now, the answer was on the slide I had posted earlier. Offset angle is the same thing as tilt. So for my older HughesNet offset dish the answer was 16.6 degrees.

My second build was much more precise than the first build, but performance is about the same. I mounted the first build to a used Directv dish and the second to my hughesnet dish. Both have been relocated to the roof of my house, and will probably build a bester for 5GHZ to add to the Hughesnet dish as well.

Location is probably the biggest problem I have with the setup. The trees are very thick, and then there is this gigantic hill that blocks the line of sight to the target area. I am working on building a passive repeater to overcome the hill, and shopping for a deal on an amplifier with some serious wattage. Good quality amplifiers are damn expensive, which really sucks.

2023-07-30_14-52.png

1 person likes this