Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Marcello971

Wifi extender antenna for long distance (10 km)

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm completely a newbie in this world and I'm sorry If I will say something stupid or wrong. I need to trasmit my local Wifi network up to another point placed at 10 km of distance (see image below). What do I need? Did you have already discussed this topic in another discussion? I guess maybe a parabolic antenna for trasmission and receiving is required. If yes I would like to know how to build this antennas and everything I need to make the overall system working.

Thanks in advance to everyone want help me :)

Wifi_Antenna.jpg

Thanks for your answer. 

I was thinking if it is possible to build this kind of antenna like you already discussed here

But in this case for Wifi.

,,, but what frequency do you want to work on ...?

2021-12-27_13-50-24.png

,,, could be a solution but better wait until I do the simulation for the desired frequency...!!!

2 people like this

Line of SIGHT or OBSTACLES , if so , what kind of obstacles , 

Height you could use , mastil tower...

Radio types (router extender power , sensibility)

THEN and only then , you know how much gain you'll need...imho

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, clanon said:

Line of SIGHT or OBSTACLES , if so , what kind of obstacles , 

Height you could use , mastil tower...

Radio types (router extender power , sensibility)

THEN and only then , you know how much gain you'll need...imho

Hi, 

The image below shows what I would like do. 

I can place the antennas on the roof and there shouldn't be any kind of obstacles. 

Questions:

1) The proposal sent by @Admin it is feasible? 

2) It is required to build two equal antennas or it is sufficient just to create the TX antenna as parabolic and the receiving antenna could be normal without parabolic dish? 

3) Both the routers have 2 antennas, should I create antennas with two SMA connectors? If yes, where shoud I place these connectors? 

Thank you for you support

Sistema.jpg

1 person likes this

Those are  2T2R (mimo) they NEED both antennas to make FULL use of BANDWIDTH

sensitivity is better on the 841 (need less gain and power)....

Link budget calculates at least 18 dbi gain needed for 17 18 dbm of power and -68dbm sensitivity...

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Admin said:

2021-12-27_13-50-24.png

,,, could be a solution but better wait until I do the simulation for the desired frequency...!!!

If I understood well, this antenna should have a sufficient gain that I need (18 dBi). 

I have to create 2 identical antennas with a parabolic disc (1 for TX and 1 for RX). The only think we shoud add in the design is the additional feed since the wirless router has 2 SMA connectors.

Before to start to build the antennas I will wait the results from the simulation and a confirmation from Adim.

Please correct me if I said something wrong.

Thanks 

1 person likes this

,,,you have two options...with the center phase where the focus of the offset parabola is placed..!!!

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_2.png

screenshot_4.png

screenshot_5.png

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Marcello971 said:

If I understood well, this antenna should have a sufficient gain that I need (18 dBi). 

I have to create 2 identical antennas with a parabolic disc (1 for TX and 1 for RX). The only think we shoud add in the design is the additional feed since the wirless router has 2 SMA connectors.

Before to start to build the antennas I will wait the results from the simulation and a confirmation from Adim.

Please correct me if I said something wrong.

Thanks 

if you choose parabolic dish reflector 

you'll need 

any good TWO PORTS feed for that dish (mimo 2Tx2Rx REQUIRES two cables , two antennas or one at 90 degrees between two ports) to get FULL SPEED it maight work okay with just ONE cable-port but NOT FULL SPEED  (depends on HOW it was configured , firmware settings)

1 person likes this

,,, the simplest UWB antenna, Sputnik antenna...

screenshot_13.png

screenshot_14.png

4 people like this

On 29.12.2021 at 3:47 PM, Admin said:

screenshot_13.png

screenshot_14.png

SputnikV 9_9

2020-09-03+(5).png

2 people like this

Thanks for your proposal.

As I said at the beginning I'm a newbie in this field. Based on these results what do you suggest me to do to cover 10km as distance? Which is the best solution? 

Sputnik antenna requires also the parabolic dish? I guess the target gain is always at least 20dbi

Then, could you please show me a scheme where I can see how to place the two SMA connectors on the antenna? 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Marcello971 said:

Then, could you please show me a scheme where I can see how to place the two SMA connectors on the antenna? 

you gonna need TWO of those at 90 degrees...+ some separation (a couple of cms)

1 person likes this

Harry36, with your dimensions, the antenna does not have VSWR <-1,2-1,4 on the frequency band 1,7-2,7MHz....!!!
If you want you can post your cst file....!!!

On 29/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, Admin said:

screenshot_13.png

screenshot_14.png

can it coverage lte b8 to b40?

6 hours ago, Admin said:

Harry36, with your dimensions, the antenna does not have VSWR <-1,2-1,4 on the frequency band 1,7-2,7MHz....!!!
If you want you can post your cst file....!!!

how much will it turn out? 18 how are you? I will not give you the cst files, you are not linking to the original source and posted earlier than I requested. It makes no sense to talk about the final dimensions of the antenna without detailing the power port. Draw a real cable and the characteristics will change.

Using your dimensions, you get an antenna for the range 2200-3800 by SWR2. Realizing that at the beginning of the range we have the lowest gain, you knowingly doom the user (2.4 GHz) to a loss of power.(1.75 dB).

For antennas of this type, for use in a narrow frequency range (wi-fi 2.4), it is more advantageous to match at the end of the range in order to obtain maximum gain.

SpVJomy.jpg

Edited by Harry36

13 hours ago, Marcello971 said:

Thanks for your proposal.

As I said at the beginning I'm a newbie in this field. Based on these results what do you suggest me to do to cover 10km as distance? Which is the best solution? 

Sputnik antenna requires also the parabolic dish? I guess the target gain is always at least 20dbi

Thank you

In order to build a connection for 10 km, you need to understand the physics of wave propagation and know a little about geometry. The range is 10 km - over the horizon. Even if we take an ideal “flat” terrain, the horizon for the observer will be at a distance of ~ 5 km. For a line of sight at a distance of 10 km, both points must be raised ~ 8 meters above ground level. If there are obstacles in the path of the link, then the transmitting and receiving antennas must be raised higher. But there are also Fresnel zones that allow you to receive a signal and "without line of sight." Antenna selection should be started by surveying the terrain at the link site and calculating the link budget. By budget we mean not financial resources, but the power of transmitters, antenna gain and losses at a distance. There is a very good service for calculating the link budget. http://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline.html

try to figure it out and then it will become easier with the choice of antenna.

1 person likes this

You need to locate TWO points in map (New Site  1 and New Site 2) + this info

Captura.JPG

Edited by clanon
1 person likes this