Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Edel2020

antenna for FM radio 88 - 108

44 posts in this topic

hello greetings, any idea for an antenna for commercial fm with maximum gain and that is not of a monstrous size (no more than 3m)

Reception...? 

UNIdireccional

Omnidirectional

indoors 

outdoors...?

It is for DX, the long-distance reception of stations in the band 88 - 108 MHZ, between 200km and 300km and that also has a good F / B

something like this ... but not that big!!!!!!

They were produced in Germany in the 70s and 80s

Stolle_US14V.png

34372631yo.jpg

1 person likes this

nice...I did some 400km 500km dx back in the 90's ...but i have a cement glass fiber roof W (dielectric until rain) over which i put 2 x 30 mts helical wire , feed at the middle with 300 ohms cable over or close to 15 dbi i guess...to mi advantage the roof was aligned with the big cities...

stations piled up and kick each other out...(yamaha fm receiver good selectivity and sensitivity) 

Edited by clanon

Other FM mmana files (german)

we could try something .."new" ..what tubes are you planning to use...

and boom dimensions...

hard to get close to 14-15 dbi without a big area reflector...

Edited by clanon

I always wanted to try a crossed dipoles (circular-elliptical) polarized array...

Most of the signals are Vertical on old equipment (around here) and quasi CP on the new stations...theory

2d5c46a2d8f2402a4a26e25ecc044a70.jpg

Edited by clanon

,,, clanon, you can turn this into * maa file...???

screenshot_210.png

1 person likes this

Let's see, sorry, it is not that they play with the data of the monster that I showed them, it is to optimize something smaller, as I said at the beginning (about 3m) ... I would like to squeeze something like that and then expose the measures to be able to build it and try it in real life .... thanks everyone for the answers

CCIR antenna.gif

1 person likes this

you didn't answer about material availability...sizes...

As for the material I will use whatever is necessary, according to the design, tubes of 9, 10, 11, 12 mm ..... square boom, round, whatever is necessary to squeeze the profit and the F / B, too it could be a quadix like this ... they say they are very good

quadix.jpeg

1 person likes this

the size I have always said from the beginning no more than 3 meters

On 25.06.2021 at 8:44 PM, Edel2020 said:

It is for DX, the long-distance reception of stations in the band 88 - 108 MHZ, between 200km and 300km and that also has a good F / B

So THE best option 4 u is:

Small FM5 Yagi

because it is less than 3m, THE simplest construction, good F\B and tested for you requested distance:

"Sven says this horizontal antenna receives stations 250–300 km away in northern Germany almost like locals"

http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/five.htm

it is so easy to produce. U can make your own and test it in couple hours

Edited by devton
1 person likes this

Greetings ... I already tried it and it is very good for its size but no, it is not that good, it does not have enough gain and the F / B is not that good either I have stations behind that bother a lot, I need at least 10 db in the whole band, or in large part at least to avoid having to use a signal amplifier, there are solutions, but they are huge monsters so I keep looking for something more ideal.
I have reviewed http://www.ham-radio.com excellent site and there are very interesting things but who knows maybe there are better things out there, creative and intelligent people abound in this world.

37 minutes ago, Edel2020 said:

Greetings ... I already tried it and it is very good for its size but no, it is not that good, it does not have enough gain and the F / B is not that good either I have stations behind that bother a lot, I need at least 10 db in the whole band, or in large part at least to avoid having to use a signal amplifier, there are solutions, but they are huge monsters so I keep looking for something more ideal.
I have reviewed http://www.ham-radio.com excellent site and there are very interesting things but who knows maybe there are better things out there, creative and intelligent people abound in this world.

addind 1-2 directors and re-emulating this FM5 looks like good idea

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, devton said:

addind 1-2 directors and re-emulating this FM5 looks like good idea

working on the RHOMBOID right now...hard to DRAW that shit...

22 hours ago, Edel2020 said:

Greetings ... I already tried it and it is very good for its size but no, it is not that good, it does not have enough gain and the F / B is not that good either I have stations behind that bother a lot...excellent site and there are very interesting things but who knows maybe there are better things

)) i think u do not need just "better things"

i found this "Sven says this horizontal antenna receives stations 250–300 km away in northern Germany almost like locals"

and if u got some troubles receiving stantions from 250km, it is most likely because it is 75 OHM antenna and your reciever input is most likely 36 o 50 ohms

1 person likes this

Friend, I have received stations with that antenna at a distance of 2200 km in New York and 2000 km in Houston Texas, but that happens 1 or 2 times a year at the most, when atmospheric conditions condition the propagation of radio waves, fundamental when DX is done in this band, (which seems to be what happened to our friend Sven) ... but it is not the common thing and less with this type of antenna and with those characteristics. The stations that I listen to the most daily are in that range of 200-250km and let me tell you that even with a signal amplifier and the antenna that I post at the beginning of the post (and which is more powerful than that) it is difficult for me to maintain stability in the signal.
I opened this topic to see if something new emerged in the debate and other friends knew of other types of antennas with better characteristics and that were not so gigantic and complicated, something that with 3 meters in size achieves the maximum possible gain that can be squeezed ... .. if not possible there are no problems

1 person likes this

YUP! i picked stations (VHF TV RADIO) from Chile (1000km or more ) by refraction that way with the helical monster...and some other antennas...with lots of FADING and it doesn't last long...

HEIGHT above GROUND is of utmost importance beyond 200kms...

PS: it will be useful to know the POLARIZATION on the TX...

Edited by clanon

On 25.06.2021 at 7:21 PM, Edel2020 said:

hello greetings, any idea for an antenna for commercial fm with maximum gain and that is not of a monstrous size (no more than 3m)

show us fotos or your fm reciever, please

i think in your case there is some port\antenna missmatch and it is the only trouble on your way to ultra-long range FM-sessions

1 person likes this