Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

n00b

Ideas Long Range 2.4GHz Antenna

26 posts in this topic

Greetings all, I've been interested in getting something with a little bit of a longer ranger then my current Alfa antenna I was going to buy something like this TP Link parabolic antenna but honestly after looking into it seems quite boring to just buy one and though I would save that for a last resort after failing to attempt to build my own.

There are quite a few designs out there in regards to antenna for the 2.4GHz range and might give a try to building something in the 5GHz range a little later if successful with this build but I will probably do that when I upgrade my current USB Wireless Adapter to this in the future(when the Kali Linux drivers are 100% stable).

One design that has been sticking out to me over and over again outside the parabolic design is the Bi-Quad Yagi, with the right design is seems to have a nice spread on the beam and long enough range, I saw @Admin's designs over on the biquad thread:

and it got me quite interested on the actual preformance of the antenna.

I've seen a couple of designs but not many strewn over the Internet and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with one from this guys YouTube channel:

The nice large reflector seems to do the job and I just need to figure out what I'm going to build it all from but has anyone got any experience building a Bi-Quad and has any input as to the refinements that they have made to their designs? Andrew the guy talking in the video goes on to say that adding too many elements started to effect the performance which is what I was planning on doing.

He is kind enough to supply some material to get the design going in 2 PDF files:

Would love to hear any feedback for my first build!

1 person likes this

n00b, I do not want to make an insult, but this antenna don"t works,the performance is almost same as ordinary biquad which around 11-12 dBi, tested from 2-9 elements, any element added has little effect to signal gain. In addition the frequency band is quite narrow,I think that Andrew McNeil, do not test with a software before publish this design.

1 person likes this

I saw this guy designs. I don't know what to think about his videoblog. First example - Yagi. Why he don't make any impedance matching ?
Does he made Yagi which has 50 ohm ?? I don't think so.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, antenna_kid said:

yup, that's it :)

Okay, but this is another type of Yagi-Antenna

18 minutes ago, antenna_kid said:

this is folded dipole. isn't it 300 ohm ?

,,,not always and especially that it has directors and reflectors in X,,,,!!!!

I do not know, it might, I should do a simulation ... !!!

yes, probably he does not care,,,!!!

and he does not even have VSWR-meter,,,!!!

@Admin, sorry for the late response. Been without Internet for a while.

No offense taken as I took to these forums and opened up a thread for this exact kind of input, everything constructive taken welcomely.

So I guess I will take heed of this design as it seems a lot more for show an less for performance, I can sadly say I have not tested any design yet and have not had a chance to download any simulation software but I am keen to get my hands on a copy when I sort out some more reliable Internet.

Any ideas for some long range antenna that is able to reach something around 25-35 degree angle beam with a few hundred meters range?

"I think these antennas would be better than biquads,,,

Yomi it is video about double - dipole with reflector, i must say that i never see before such a antenna .

Is is maybe better than classic biquad?

IF IS ,then is worth to build..right? 

Yes, Aurel, it is, I think I will try to simulate this Yagi...!!!

Well Ok ,maybe i try to build .i have one spare piece of 12x12 cm zinc metal plate as reflector.

I think a parabolic reflector would be better....!!!!

1 person likes this

,,,hi buddy...!!!

,,,what message are you talking about..???

,,, I'm trying to simulate this....

302.jpg

1 person likes this

Hi, i tried to send you message but i'm unable to create new because i get message "Your inbox is full. You must delete some messages before you can send any more."
I currently have only one old message from you.

Replied to your message that was year old.

Edited by antenna_kid

,,okay my friend,let me see what this is about Messages...!!!

Jomy do you can simulate only this double dipole with reflector...without directors ?

13 minutes ago, aurel said:

Jomy do you can simulate only this double dipole with reflector...without directors ?

,,,yes,I"ll try...!!!

1 person likes this